I saw this clip of 50 Cent’s infectious “Ayo Technology” rerun on “Late Show with David Letterman” shortly after the Writers’ Guild of America strike began and have been meaning to blog about it ever since. It’s simultaneously awesome and awkward, which makes it a perfect fit for Suburbarazzi.
No shortage of things to look out for here:
1. Bedford resident Paul Shaffer’s CBS Orchestra does an impressive job recreating Timbaland’s heavily produced track, right down to the intricate and hyperactive video-game beeps that Shaffer appears to be duplicating on keyboards. Reminiscent of LL Cool J’s “MTV Unplugged” episode.
2. Although the song’s featured vocalist, Justin Timberlake, is nowhere to be found, 50 still gives him a shout-out at the beginning.
3. The opening half-rhyme scheme was altered not only to please the FCC, but also a certain North Salem resident at the end: “50 Cent, Justin, Timbaland, Letterman.”
4. 50 Cent sings like Justin raps.
5. Old folks in the Ed Sullivan Theatre throwin’ their hands up!
What else did you love/hate about this clip?
(AP Photos — Shaffer by Diane Bondareff; 50 Cent by Kevork Djansezian; Letterman by Adam Rountree)